I’m adding a BeagleBoneBlack port to the Tianocore/EDK2 UEFI implementation. This post details the implementation specifics of the port so far.
About the hardware:
BeagleBoneBlack is a low-cost embedded board that boasts an ARM AM335x SoC. It supports Linux, with Android, Ubuntu and Ångström ports already available. It comes pre-loaded with the MLO and U-Boot images on its eMMC which can be flashed with custom binaries. Bootup can also be done from a partitioned sdcard or by transferring binaries over UART (ymodem) or USB (TFTP). The boot flow is presented here:
The Tianocore Project / Build System
The EDK2 framework provides an implementation of the UEFI specifications. It’s got its own customizable pythonic build system that works based on the config details provided through build meta-files. The build setup is described in this document.
(TL;DR: the build tool parses INF, DSC and DEC files for each package that describe its dependencies, exports and the back-end library implementations it shall use. This makes EDK2 highly modular to support all kinds of hardware platforms. It generates Firmware Volume images for each section in the Flash Description File, which are put into a Flash Description binary with addressing as specified in the FDF. The DSC specifies which library in code should point to which implementation, and the INF keeps a record of a module’s exports and imports. If these don’t match, the build simply fails.)
I started out with an attempt to write a bare-metal binary that prints over some letters to UART to get a hang of how low-level development works. Here‘s a great guide to the basics for bare-metal on ARM. All the required hardware has to be initialized in the binary before use, and running C requires an execution environment set up that provides stacks and handles placement of segments in memory. Since U-Boot already handles that in its SPL phase, I wrote a standalone that could be called by U-Boot instead.
The BeagleBoneBlackPkg is derived from the ArmPlatformPkg. I began with echoing the “second stage” steps mentioned here – implement the libraries available and perform platform specific tasks – as I intended to take over boot from U-Boot/MLO. This also eased me from having to do the IRQ and memory initializations.
I’m using the PrePeiCore (and not Sec) module’s entry point to load the image. It builds the PPIs necessary to pass control over to PEI and calls PeiMain.
Running the FD: The build generates an .Fd image that will be used to boot the device. The MLO binary I’m using is built to look for and launch a file named ‘u-boot.img’ on the MMC (there’s a CONFIG_ macro to change this somewhere in u-boot), so I just rename the FD to u-boot.img before flashing it.